August 1st is the start date for the next online session of United Methodism 101. The course from United Methodist Communications is for both new United Methodists and anyone else wanting to know more about the denomination.
Students can move through the four modules of the course at their own pace between August 1 and September 12.
Sections address questions such as:
* What kinds of people make up The United Methodist Church?
* Why the name “Methodist?” And are they really “United?”
* Who speaks on behalf of the denomination?
* Who decides the official beliefs?
* Can I disagree with the church on issues like war or abortion?
* Why is The United Methodist Church involved in political issues?
* How do United Methodists view things like Communion and baptism?
Find more information at www.umcom.org/training (click on “United Methodist Basics”). Students must pre-register. Those completing the course will earn one continuing education unit.
The course is available offline using the United Methodism 101 kit or CD. Learn more by calling United Methodist Communications Customer Service, (888) 346-3862.